DRAFT MINUTES OF THE MODEL GLIDING ASSOCIATION’S AGM HELD DURING THE 2009 RC NATIONAL GLIDING CHAMPIONSHIPS, HOSTED BY THE DURBAN MODEL AIRCRAFT CLUB, NOORDSBERG, ON 25 SEPTEMBER 2009
- The outgoing chairperson welcomed everyone attending the 2009 AGM for the Model Gliding Association
- The organisers of the 2009 Nationals were thanked for their efforts
- All officers & portfolio representatives on the MGA were thanked for their contributions during the year
2. Previous minutes
- It was noted that copies of the 2008 AGM minutes were distributed electronically immediately following the 2008 National Championships.
- No amendments or corrections were suggested & these were accepted by agreement
3. Feedback on previous actions arising
- Following discussion in 2008 it was generally agreed that the current & future RC Glider pilots had a need for funding of National competitions. It was noted that the MGA was not geared towards administration of individual memberships & the impact of imposing a membership fee within another SIG was considered catastrophic & contrary to the interests of promoting the sport. As an alternate to the “membership fee” option, it was reported that the MGA has recorded an income of over R4,000 from the HTL events since the previous AGM. This money was used to maintain the MGA competitions box, as well as fund considerably towards the 2009 Nats. It was felt that although minimal, the contributions of pilots competing could successfully be used to their benefit instead of a membership / admin fee. It was proposed that the various regions consider this mechanism in lieu of a membership fee for supporting their Nats efforts.
- In terms of communications, all electronic files attached to emails within the MGASA forum, were uploaded to the MGASA files or MGA BLOG section.
- In 2008 it was proposed that a formal RC Gliding National committee be investigated to assist in the hosting & funding of future National Competitions. The MGA has reviewed this & agreed instead to maintain the status quo in that the Nationals are hosted by a specific club. Clubs are requested to submit proposals in advance of the AGM & the winning proposal to be announced at the AGM. If no proposals are received at the time of the AGM, then the MGA will not schedule a Nat’s for the following year.
- The MGA were instructed by the attending MGA members not to pursue the matter of memberships fees further in lieu of the alternate “regional competition” funding mechanism discuss previously.
- Formal guidelines for competitive event organisers were drafted & circulated on the MGA BLOG in Feb 2009. The attending MGA members agreed that these guidelines would apply to all future MGA events.
5. Election of Office Bearers
The MGA Executive:
- Chairperson Lionel Brink
- Vice-chair Herman Weber
- Treasurer Gordon Prahm
- Secretary Craig Goodrum
The following competitive discipline representatives were elected:
- F3B Rodney Goodrum
- F3J Herman Weber
- F3K Stephane du Ponsel
- F5J Juanita Smith
In addition, a number of portfolios are managed within the MGA:
- T&D Simon Tladi
- Calendar Evan Shaw
- MGASA Izak Theron
- Badges Evan Shaw
- HTL Johan Bruwer
- BVT Dennis Bird
- 2M Rudi King
- Postals John Lightfoot
- Slope Soaring Izak Theron (Gauteng)
- Kevin Farr (WP)
- Russel Conrad (KZN)
- Cross Country Paul Carnall
6. Next Nationals
- The MGA received 2 proposals to host the combined 2010 RC Soaring Nationals. Based on the historical coastal/inland hosting schedule, the fact the 2010 Nationals are F3B focussed & the need to trial a number of factors regarding the potential 2012 F3J World Championship, the MGA awarded the 2010 National Championships to the MMS club.
7. Actions arising
- No actions were requested from the floor, but noted that the requirements for cross-country events would be discussed directly with the CAA in the near future.
8. Next Meeting
- The next AGM is scheduled for the 2010 National RC Gliding Championships